Wednesday 10 June 2009

Waterstones Competition

At the beginning of May I picked up the "Books Quarterly" published by Waterstones which was specifically celebrating the 10 year birthday of the childrens book "The Gruffalo" By Julia Donaldson, illustrated by Axel Scheffler and general landmarks in Childrens Illustration. I was really pleased I'd made the effort to pick it up but even more pleased when I found the illustration competition inside run by Waterstones and Macmillan Publishers. Julia Donaldson had put forward her latest text "Freddie and the Fairy" and the competition was open to professional and non profession illustrators who had not been published within the childrens book market. Perfect! However, I had picked up the mag quite late and needed to get myself in gear to produce the required elements. The next 10 days were non stop to produce the 5 character sheets and full colour double page spread required for entry. I had forgotten that I was capable of producing such a large amount of work in such a short space of time, and for the first time in months I had produced something I felt pleased with. With this in mind I wanted to share the final product which was submitted but sadly missed the deadline by 12hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment